Tsunami Help Home   Enquiry   Missing Persons   News Updates   Help Needed   Help Offered  

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Interested Volunteers in London - Co-ordination

From our reader:

Many people who want to volunteer are posting their contact information which is great!, but I think those who have special skills should contact charity organizations directly or the red cross. Others (including me)who want to help in any way should organize by themselves because so far only Crossroad Organization is recruiting volunteers. I'm interested in helping Thailand as I've been there . Though, I haven't found information about where the relief camps are. Yesterday I read in a British newspaper an article about holidaymakers who have gone to the affected areas and helped the local people. I'd like to do that, but it will be much easier to work in a team. I'm only 20 years old, mexican staying at London. I've worked in schools in Northeast Thailand and Africa. If someone is interested in creating a small project and going there to help, I'll appreciate if you contact me: jazgiovanni2010@yahoo.com

Charity organizations cannot recruit volunteers easily because their policies are very strict in these situations. We could know exactly what the local people need by going there, otherwise we'll rely only on the media that sometimes doesn't reflect the real situation.

"There is hardly a family in Khao Lok that has not lost someone, yet the people here show their appreciation to the many Western visitors, such as Rachel Henderson, 21, from Camden Town, in North London, who pitched in with two student friends to help to run an open-air feeding centre."

Full article
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,18690-1424335,00.html
3 Comments Post a Comment
Anonymous Anonymous said :

People who want to use their time to help don't necessarily have to travel to the disaster area. Our blog is working around the globe and around the clock to facilitate relief efforts on-line. Some of the worst affected areas never lost their internet connection. We are working to link resources and can only remain successful by increasing our volunteers. Information increases daily and we can use your help and the help of others. Basic computer skills are needed. You don't have to know how to program. And you can start today! Contact us via this website or join seaeatvolunteers@yahoo.com. We look forward to working with you.

2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

The adress seaeatvolunteers@yahoo.com does NOT work!

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

hi my name is John. Iam 19 year's old. i live in phoenix arizonia, and would like to GO TO INDIA AND HELP!!!!!!I am not a docter or surgen, i work at a bank doing paperwork, none the less i would be exited and eager to apply the skill's that I do posses,torwards helping rebuild, and restoring hope for these unfortunate people. Iam a hard worker allways giving everything 100% I Have worked, in construction (worked on a framing crew & ran wires)and as telecomm appreintice.How do I GET THERE
e-mail me at jhernandez@npmg.com
johnhernand@npmg.com

3:06 PM